Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The universe, its sense of humour and seeking that silver lining...

The universe has a wicked sense of humour, don't you think?

This morning I woke up and found myself worrying about Oscar again so I thought I would distract myself by reading a parenting magazine I subscribe to on my ipad. It's good for recipe ideas for trying to get Oscar to eat something other than bacon, or salt or milk. Anyhow, I had given myself a good talking to and told myself to do something positive. Find a new recipe to cook for tonight or distract myself by reading a few articles.

I flip a screen up at random and the title is, 'Building Hope'. Sounds like a nice positive story to distract me with. It turns out to be a story of a little girl who has ALL (the same leukemia as Oscar) and has relapsed twice. Yep, like I said the universe has a wicked sense of humour sometimes.

The reason I am sharing this with you though is to let any other families with kids with cancer know that there are some great improvements in treatment being researched and trialed all the time. This particular little girl was told to go home and arrange hospice care but her parents did some research and flew her directly to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where an oncologist had pioneered a new leukemia treatment which involves removing T cells from the patients body and then programming them in the lab to attack her leukemia cells and returning them to her body six weeks later. Three weeks later tests showed there wasn't a single cancer cell in her bone marrow and seven months later there are still no signs of the cancer returning.

It is my deep desire that no one reading this ever needs this information but, just in case you might, I wanted to share it with you. Imagine if this became the future for cancer treatment and perhaps even replaced the need for all that horrendous chemotherapy. Imagine if it cured all those patients who relapsed. Imagine if it can be used in other cancers and in adults too. Imagine....keep researching....keep up hope and stay positive as much as you can (and be kind to yourself when you can't).

I send this information out into the ether and I hope it reaches the right people at the right time and that the universes sense of humour has a miraculous silver lining for any families suffering at this time.

Take care beautiful people. x

No comments:

Post a Comment