Thursday, June 27, 2013

Check up, immunisations and bribery

Oscar didn’t want to go this morning to see Dr M for his check up and cried and bargained with me for the first half of the trip to Westmead. He asked me to tell Dr M that he didn’t want any finger pricks or any needles. There really is no way to explain away the fact that he was having both today so I did my best at distracting him instead.

When we got there he announced to anyone who would listen (e.g. the entire Oncology Clinic) the following:
“I don’t want to be brave and I don’t want any needles.”

This left a somewhat uncomfortable silence.

When we sat down there was a baby next to us and Oscar said to me, “Well, babies don’t be brave.” So I explained that unfortunately sometimes even babies have to be brave and that he was very brave when he was a baby. This particular baby turned out to be only one month younger than Oscar was when he was diagnosed which surprised me as much as Oscar – it’s amazing how you forget (and a shame that you never do, if you know what I mean).

Then someone from a Church group approached us and gave Oscar a puzzle and a car as a present and started praying over him. Oscar thought the present was great but was a bit confused by a stranger kneeling beside him and saying his name over and over in prayer.  The girl next to us was also being prayed for by another person from the same Church group and she was somewhat evangelistic in her approach. Oscar jumped into my arms and said, “That Lady is scaring me.” So we headed for the play room.

Dr M came and got us and gave us good news. His bloods are good and we now move to two monthly (instead of monthly visits)!! This is another step forward we are very grateful for. In the last 3 years Oscar hasn’t ever gone longer than 4 weeks between visits so it’s exciting.

Then we headed to the treatment room for his immunisation needles. We were in the room with the big fish tank which also happens to be the room they did all those bone marrow aspirations and lumber puncture procedures. I lost count how many – but lots! As soon as Oscar saw we were heading there he LOST THE PLOT. The less said about it the better. As awful and un-fun as it was he wasn’t backward in asking for a treat afterwards, remembering that there are ice blocks in the freezer. He knows how to work the system – he also got another present from the nurses and a lolly pop. Seriously, no wonder he uses bribery as his main ‘negotiation’ tactic.

He fell asleep in the car on the way back and when we got home he woke up and screamed at me in an absolute rage that he hated me and he told me he didn’t want any needles and that “When Daddy takes me he doesn’t make me have any needles.” (this is a bit of a low blow as Pete only took him once last month when I was vomiting but hey, I’ll be the bad cop any day if it means Oscar gets to be healthy).

I may be in for a hard afternoon with Oscar being so angry with me but it’s all good. He can blame me all he likes. I’m just so glad to be heading into the rest of winter with him protected from all those serious contagious diseases which posed a real threat to his life during his treatment.

So, we are grateful to move one more step forward on this journey. Hooray!


Thanks for checking in on us and love to you and all your families. Much love, Cindy x

No comments:

Post a Comment